Monday, May 9, 2016

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas Review

For those of you who don't know much about me, there is one YA/NA author that I love and her name is Sarah J. Maas. I love all of her works and her writing style is so captivating. She literally makes me feel so many emotions when reading any and all of her books that I can't help but buy the newest one as soon as it comes out and then hate myself for the year long wait I've just brought upon myself once I finish it. I am a huge fangirl of all S J Maas does (please see my countdown to Queen of Shadows on this blog), so of course I bought A Court of Mist and Fury as soon as it came out and read that thing like my life depended on it.

The first book I ever read by Maas was A Court of Thorns and Roses, which got me on the S J Maas fan train leading me to binge read the entire Throne of Glass series and was still left wanting more. Before I read ACOTAR, I was never the biggest fan of Fae inspired novels. Maas had me changing my tune after I got involved with the beautiful story of Feyre, Tamlin, Lucien, Rhysander, and all the other completely dynamic characters that I decided Fae novels were a breed of YA/NA that I needed to learn more about. And thank God I did.

I digress...A Court of Mist and Fury is the sequel to A Court of Thorns and Roses, which is a fantasy retelling of Beauty and the Beast, although no where near the beloved children's tale we all fell in love with. Maas created a complex, sexy, and engulfing new story in a world that I feel apart of now. When the first book ended, I thought it wrapped up kind of nicely. There was room for development (at the time I was team Tamlin, but I wanted to know what this Rhys character's deal was) and I wanted more of the Fae world outside of the Spring Court. In the sequel, Maas delivered on all of my desires as Feyre decides that maybe the Spring Court just isn't the right court for her.


***POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD***

Maas may be the only author that can cause someone like me to jump ship so fast that it makes my head spin. (Please skip this next part if you haven't read Throne of Glass and want to avoid spoilers) In Throne of Glass, I was team Chaol all the way. Loved that guy. Then we had to go and meet Rowan and I found myself on another ship it was crazy. (Those of you that skipped the TOG spoiler you can continue reading again) And here I am, in the middle of a story I thought I had all figured out and knew who I was going to ship and what not, deciding that I was wrong and Maas is right. She is always right.

The love story between Feyre and Tamlin was a beautiful one. A classic one. It made total sense to be the winner of ACOTAR, but now that Feyre is changed, now that she is in a new world living a different life than she's ever had to live before, it makes sense that maybe her heart beats a different way. And then it made total sense for the Rhys ship to sail because, I mean, you should read the book. You'll fall in love with him so fast...ugh.

Aside from the romance in this book, which is hot and perfect, Maas also introduces a slew of new characters that you can't help but fall for. Azriel, Mor, Cassian, and Amren are a few people that I want to know more about. Damn, I should've bought the Target edition just so I can get a short story revolving around a few of those characters. Anyways, these are characters that mean something and build a story. 

For a while, I was really blah on the idea of introducing a seemingly original storyline in this one. What was the point of making me love the secondary characters like Lucien when she was just going to divert attention away from him in the end? Then it all made sense thanks to that heartbreaking ending. Everything came full circle and I am in dire need of the next book. ASAP.

Maas does a fantastic job of world weaving. It's truly a raw talent. At the end of this book, all I can say is that if you haven't read this series, you need to, and be prepared to have your heart ripped out and still beating at the end of it because I think it's going to be a long while before I can fully function again. And that's what I learned when I read this book cover to cover.


On a side note, who all is excited for Empire of Storms????? I literally cannot wait. Maas, you are a genius and I can't wait to see what's in store in both of your beautiful tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment