Thursday, May 5, 2016

The Crown by Kiera Cass Review

So I'm jumping a little out of order here on my TBR list, but it's only because I have been awaiting this release since I found out there was going to be two more books in the beloved Selection Series. So when this book hit shelves, I had it downloaded on my Kindle in seconds. Then I tore through this beauty so fast and was left with so many emotions...Ugh.

Anyways, for those of you who don't know anything about the Selection Series. I highly suggest you hop on that train and binge read the entire series since all five books are finally out. The first three books in the series follow the story of America Singer, a girl in the country of Illea, who is competing with thirty-five other girls for the heart of the prince. However, America isn't trying to win his love, but keep the stipend the crown is sending her family. Now, it's hard to go much further into detail without giving away anything about the series so if you haven't read the Selection Series I would STOP READING NOW. And for those of you who haven't yet read The Crown and don't want any spoilers, then you should also STOP READING NOW.

The Crown follows the end of America and Maxon's daughter's journey to find love and eventually run the country. Eadlyn never though she would find love in The Selection, but she has, and now it is a matter of holding on to it or doing what is best for her country.


Alright, so first off, I think this is a very classic and simple way to end such a beautiful story. Very fitting. I know this might not be a popular idea, some people might be wanting more, especially with the mixed feelings towards the series to begin with, but I thought this story was great. It wasn't supposed to be anything incredibly mind blowing, it wasn't supposed to tug on your though process and make you think about the world differently. It was written to entertain readers and it definitely succeeded.

Now onto my reactions. First of all: MY SHIP SANK. Oh man, since The Heir I had formed a beautiful ship between Eadlyn and Kile and I wanted that ship to sail so badly. I loved them. Their story was perfect. Children who grew up hating each other, then turned into friends, and then grew feelings for each other...UGH perfect. I hate that my ship sank so badly, but at the same time I see why it had to. Kill would have to sacrifice everything to be with Eadlyn - as romantic as that is. Eadlyn loved Kile too much to take away his dreams. Am I a terrible person for wanting her to take away his dreams? Probably.

On the other side of the romance, the guy Eady actually fell in love with, Eikko or Erik. I think this romance had some build up going towards it, but I wanted so much more build up. I think I could have really gotten on board with this ship if only there had been just a bit more. More drama. More tension. More. Honestly I think they work and I'm so happy they get their perfect ending, but I felt like there could have been more build up towards it.

I'm also very confused. Why would a king and queen just happily hand their reign over to their teenaged daughter so they can live their happy life as just people? I get the appeal, and I can see that they're going to have a tough time being the king and queen, but there is no way in hell they would just let their teenage daughter run their country. Doesn't make any sense. Sorry Kiera Cass.

However, I loved this story. I was so happy with it, kind of put off by some of the things that happened and it took me a while to get over the shipwreck. And that's what I uncovered when I read this lovely book cover to cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment